Bar Talk is designed to mimic the random shite you discuss at the bar with your mates. It’s gotta be rugby related (hopefully tied to Texas in some way), but it can be anything. These segments are designed to promote discussion and debate (must remain civil). We expect you to post comments and then give your mates clear reasons why you feel one way or another. This is a community – where discussion happens.
Today’s topic: Texas-based pro athletes who would be good rugby players. They gotta be from Texas or playing in Texas currently.
We’re gonna tell you who we think would be a bad-ass rugby team made up of Texas-based pro athletes. Disagree all you want, but give us some good comeback info.
And heeeeere we go…
1. Casey Hampton, NG, Steelers – UT and Galveston
2. Jonathan Weeks, Deep Snapper, Texans – he’s built right (5’10 255) for hooker. He’s the shortest ‘big’ dude we could find. Tashard Choice, RB, Cowboys might be a good hooker, too.
3. Roberto Garza, G, Chicago Bears – A&M-Kingsville
4. Martellus Bennett, TE, Cowboys
5. Dejuan Blair, F/C, Spurs
6. Brian Cushing, LB, Texans
7. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans – yep, a 6’3″ 223 flanker who is fast and has hands like nobody’s bizness.
8. Jason Whitten, TE, Cowboys
9. Jason Kidd, G, Mavericks
10. CJ Wilson, P, Rangers
11. Miles Austin, WR, Cowboys
12. Arian Foster, RB, Texans
13. Marion Barber, RB, Cowboys
14. Felix Jones, RB, Cowboys
15. Tony Parker, G, Spurs – fast as hell, can get involved when needed. And he’s French, so we bet he can kick.
We like running backs as centers, but you could plug in a LB if you want. Our locks are not skyscrapers, but they are athletic beasts.
Anyhoo, that’s what we think would be a pretty good line up. Spare us the, “they are not in rugby shape” chickenshit (that’s for Bobby Knight), we know they are not in rugby shape – because they do not play rugby. But is NBA shape not good enough?
We want to know what you think. Please comment.